Secularism vs. Theocracy
Freedom vs. theocracy is appropriate for this image because today’s Democratic Party is anything but secular. Instead of standing up for our secular democracy, many have adopted a path of pandering to the religious. For us, regardless of our political leanings, it is about secularism vs. theocracy.
It’s secularism against theocracy, the free intellect against dogmatism, conscience against barbarity, the future against the past. Like it or not, it’s one of the defining struggles of our time. And there are many decent, well-intentioned people who don’t want to confront the full scope of the problem, who turn their gazes from it or try to paper it over with soothing platitudes. (Or worse, they claim that we, the people who are pointing out the problem, are the ones who started it all, and everything would be fine if we’d just be quieter and more respectful.)
I encourage you to read Lee’s entire post. It is one of those rare gems I plan to bookmark and re-read whenever I feel like giving up.
- Daylight Atheism : Moderate Is As Moderate Does (bigthink.com)
- Strange Bedfellows (neitshade.wordpress.com)
- Are Atheists Better People (thewordofme.wordpress.com)
- Jewish Theocrat | Dismantle Israeli Democracy, Start Jewish Theocracy (theageofblasphemy.wordpress.com)
- Poll harder, so religion can reassure itself of its relevance (freethoughtblogs.com)
- Christian theocracy: How Newt Gingrich and the GOP would abolish courts and legislate morality. – Slate Magazine (wpvins.wordpress.com)
- Chris Matthews Excoriates: Rick Santorum Is a ‘Theocrat’ and Franklin Graham Is a ‘Disgrace’ (newsbusters.org)
- davblog: Atheism, Humanism and Secularism (dave.org.uk)