Blood On His Hands! Man Dies After Dose of Trump Touted Coronavirus Cure

Man dies after self-medicating with chloroquine phosphate to treat coronavirus


By Tamar Lapin

A bottle of the anti-malaria drug Chloroquine.

A bottle of the anti-malaria drug Chloroquine.

A man died after ingesting an additive used to clean fish tanks — the pharmaceutical drug version of which has been touted by President Trump as a potential coronavirus cure.

Within 30 minutes of taking chloroquine phosphate, the man in his 60s experienced “immediate effects” and had to be admitted to a nearby Banner Health hospital, the medical system in Arizona said in a press release Monday.

His wife, also in her 60s, is in critical condition after taking the additive, which is used in aquariums to kill some organisms, like algae, that may harm fish.

Prices of the product on eBay skyrocketed after some studies found that the pharmaceutical version, the anti-malarial drug chloroquine, and a derivative of it called hydroxychloroquine, were effective in killing the virus in laboratory experiments.

Trump said last week the drug would soon begin to be distributed to treat some coronavirus patients. FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn clarified that the drug would be made available as part of a clinical trial.

Officials warned people not to take the drugs to treat coronavirus symptoms unless it has been specifically prescribed by their doctor.

“The last thing that we want right now is to inundate our emergency departments with patients who believe they found a vague and risky solution that could potentially jeopardize their health,” said Dr. Daniel Brooks, medical director of the Banner Poison and Drug Information Center.

Chloroquine is especially not recommended for use by non-hospitalized patients.

“We are strongly urging the medical community to not prescribe this medication to any non-hospitalized patients,” Brooks said.

We greatly thank you for your on-going generous financial and enthusiastic personal support in appreciation for this site!

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is twitter_dnxmh0vuaaexy0f-large.png


Jerky Treats Killing Hundreds of Dogs, Thousands Affected

The FDA has No Idea Why Jerky Treats Are Killing  Hundreds of Dogs

600 dogs and 10 cats have died after eating the  treats.

By Laura  Stampler

Getty Images

Getty Images

About 500 dogs and nine cats died from the Chinese treats as of January.

But in spite of running more than 1,000 tests and visiting multiple  manufacturers, the FDA still isn’t sure what it is in the chicken, duck, and  sweet potato jerky that is making the animals sick. “To date, testing for  contaminants in jerky treats has not revealed a cause for the illnesses,” said  deputy director for the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine Martine  Hartogensis.

Nestle Purina PetCare Co. and Milo’s Kitchen withdrew some of its popular dog  treats in January after New York state agricultural official found potential antibiotics contamination. Maybe stick to making  your own dog treats for now.