New Report Documents Widespread Abuse in Dutch Catholic Institutions
The atheist blogosphere is understandably buzzing with news of Christopher Hitchens‘ death. Take whatever time you might need to deal with this loss, but please don’t overlook the other big news of the day: a new report detailing widespread child abuse by Catholic clergy and others associated with the church has been released by an independent commission in the Netherlands.
The report by the an independent commission said Catholic officials failed to tackle the widespread abuse “to prevent scandals.” The suspected number of abuse victims who spent some of their youth in church institutions likely lies somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000, according to a summary of the report.
The commission received roughly 1,800 complaints and identified 800 perpetrators, including clergy and lay people working with them.
Once again, I call on Catholics to stop supporting this institution.
- New Report Documents Widespread Abuse in Dutch Catholic Institutions (atheistrev.com)
- Tens of thousands abused in Dutch Catholic institutions (lookatvietnam.com)
- Not Hundreds and Not Thousands but Tens of Thousands! (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- ‘Tens of thousands’ of children victims of child sexual abuse at the hands of paedophile priests in the Netherlands since 1945 (alisonsgypt.wordpress.com)
- Abuse ‘widespread’ in Dutch Church (independent.co.uk)
- Need for International Response to Clergy Sex Abuse (fidest.wordpress.com)
- Thousands abused by Dutch priests, says report (vancouversun.com)
- Thousands abused by Dutch priests, says report (windsorstar.com)
- ‘Tens of thousands’ of children victims of child sexual abuse at the hands of paedophile priests in the Netherlands since 1945 (dailymail.co.uk)
- Wide Abuse in Dutch Catholic Institutions (time.com)