Mike Huckabee Says He Wants Americans To Be Indoctrinated At Gunpoint
David Barton is the leading promoter of a brand of falsified American history altered to support the claim that America was founded as a Christian, rather than a secular, nation. As Chris Rodda, who has authored an entire book debunking Barton’s brand of pseudo-history, writes,
I was quite surprised… to come across a video clip from this conference on the People for the American Way (PFAW) Right Wing Watch blog with the headline “Huckabee: Americans Should Be Forced, At Gunpoint, To Learn From David Barton.” I had watched Huckabee’s speech. How on earth could I have missed a statement like that? Well, I didn’t. It had been edited out of the webcast that I had watched.
Kyle Mantyla over at PFAW’s Right Wing Watch had recorded Huckabee’s speech when it was streamed live on Thursday, and posted the ‘forced at gunpoint’ clip on Friday. By Saturday, when I watched the webcast on the United in Purpose website, that part of Huckabee’s speech had been edited out.
The webcast that I saw showed Barton leaving the stage as he ended his presentation, then the screen going black for a moment, and then what appeared to be the beginning of Huckabee’s speech. What was edited out was Barton returning to the stage to introduce Huckabee, and the first two minutes and forty-five seconds of Huckabee’s speech, during which Huckabee made his ‘gunpoint’ comment and praised David Lane, the man behind all of the American “Renewal” and “Restoration” projects that have popped up across the country during the past few elections.
[below: the unedited footage from Huckabee’s speech, with the “joke” about indoctrinating Americans at gunpoint to be found at at 1:06. Footage courtesy of Kyle Mantyla of Rightwing Watch, who might have almost single-handedly consigned Huckabee’s presidential hopes to the dustbin of history.]
I should also note that what Chris Rodda has to say about this has especial weight given that she’s arguably been the most indefatigable author to challenge David Barton’s sprawling falsified American history oeuvre, as a Talk To Action site search on Rodda’s extensive posts debunking Barton would suggest. Chris Rodda is author of the book Liars For Jesus: The Religious Right’s Alternate Version of American History which prominently features David Barton, head of Wallbuilders and arguably king of the “liars for Jesus”. Rodda is also Head Researcher for the Military Religious Freedom Foundation.
- Huckabee Says He Wants Americans To Be Indoctrinated At Gunpoint by David Barton (crooksandliars.com)
- Mike Huckabee Says He Wants Americans To Be Indoctrinated At Gunpoint (blogs.alternet.org)
- Mike Huckabee Says He Wants Americans To Be Indoctrinated At Gunpoint (tipggita32.wordpress.com)
- Mike Huckabee Wants to Indoctrinate You at Gunpoint (friendlyatheist.com)
- Huckabee: ‘All Americans Should Be Forced at Gunpoint to Listen to David Barton’ (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- “Mike Huckabee believes that all Americans should “be forced at gunpoint no less” to listen to the lies and distortions of David Barton.” and related posts (theimmoralminority.blogspot.com)
- Mike Huckabee’s Revisionist History Lessons – For the Kids! (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Mike Huckabee thinks all Americans should be forced at gunpoint to listen to David Barton (heartchasms.wordpress.com)
- Taking Apart the Right’s History Lies (ynative77.wordpress.com)