The Latest Right-Wing Conspiracy Theory: Obama’s Third Term
Our Kenyan-born, secret Muslim president has apparently cooked up a sneaky plot to subvert the 22nd Amendment.
—By Asawin Suebsaeng
Barack Hussein Obama is hatching a secret plot to pull off the ultimate power grab: securing himself a third term in the White House.
At least that’s the narrative being spun by right-wing conspiracy theorists, who seem to believe Obama is modeling his presidency after fictional Nixon in Watchmen.
Among the main proponents of this theory—which comes in several different flavors—is Stansberry & Associates Investment Research, a publishing firm that hawks financial advice—and has a history of promoting dubious claims. Even before the president won reelection, the company began blasting out emails to subscribers of various conservative newsletters, warning of the coming third term of Obama. The emails went out as paid advertisements through the right-leaning Townhall.com, Newsmax, Human Events, and Gingrich Marketplace (a spokesman for Newt Gingrich and the vice president of Human Events both claimed this email blast was a mistake).
The emails alerted readers to a vague—and somewhat counterintuitive—theory: Some unspecified but major event will lead to an epoch of American economic prosperity. Because it will happen under Obama’s watch, he’ll claim full credit and receive an unprecedented boost in approval ratings, giving him a mandate to demand and subsequently obtain a third term. If you’re confused, below are screenshots of two of the emails:
These messages are accompanied by a slideshow titled “The Third Term — INSIDE: The Secret Plan to Retain Power Through 2020” and narrated by Stansberry & Associates founder Frank Porter Stansberry. It discusses how Obama will become American history’s greatest tyrant, responsible for implementing “the most terrifying socialist policies” the country has ever seen. “The Third Term” also highlights the company’s supposed track record of correctly predicting the future, and invites readers to check out their trading and investing services and other pricey products.
- Email To Newt Supporters Says Obama Will Win And We Must Worry About A Third Term In 2016 (alan.com)
- Gingrich email claims ‘Obama is going to win,’ frets about third term in 2016 (rawstory.com)
- Gingrich Marketplace Newsletter Says Obama Is Going To Win (addictinginfo.org)
- Obama took out Qaddafi so al-Qaida ‘could take over,’ says GOP rep (tv.msnbc.com)
- Gingrich supporters warned of a third Obama term (salon.com)
- The latest conspiracy theory: Obama will seek a third term (tv.msnbc.com)
- Errant Gingrich Email: ‘Obama Is Going to Win’ (abcnews.go.com)