(Obviously, low intelligence also fosters religion).
Bright Minds and Dark Attitudes
Lower Cognitive Ability Predicts Greater Prejudice Through Right-Wing Ideology and Low Intergroup Contact
+ Author Affiliations
Despite their important implications for interpersonal behaviors and relations, cognitive abilities have been largely ignored as explanations of prejudice. We proposed and tested mediation models in which lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice, an effect mediated through the endorsement of right-wing ideologies (social conservatism, right-wing authoritarianism) and low levels of contact with out-groups. In an analysis of two large-scale, nationally representative United Kingdom data sets (N = 15,874), we found that lower general intelligence (g) in childhood predicts greater racism in adulthood, and this effect was largely mediated via conservative ideology.
A secondary analysis of a U.S. data set confirmed a predictive effect of poor abstract-reasoning skills on antihomosexual prejudice, a relation partially mediated by both authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact. All analyses controlled for education and socioeconomic status. Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice. Consequently, we recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models.
- Lower Cognitive Ability Predicts Greater Prejudice Through Right-Wing Ideology and Low Intergroup Contact (splatty.co.uk)
- 4 February 2012. Video. From RT: “Study Says Racists and Conservatives are Dumb”… Your “Gut” was Telling You Something (02varvara.wordpress.com)
- Does Stupidity Cause Conservatism? (reason.com)
- Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism (dokmz.wordpress.com)
- Study says racists and conservatives are dumb (rt.com)
- Are Conservatives Ignorant? (greenmountainscribes.wordpress.com)
- Conservatism and Low IQ (duanegraham.wordpress.com)
- Study links dim wits to conservative ideology (go.theregister.com)
- Study correlates low IQ with racism, conservatism (piedtype.com)
- Study links low intelligence with right-wing beliefs (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)