Via “Democracy Now”
ICC Urged to Probe Vatican for Sexual Abuse, Cover-Up
Two U.S. groups are asking the International Criminal Court to investigate Pope Benedict XVI and three top Vatican officials for crimes against humanity over the alleged cover-up of rampant sexual abuse of children by members of the clergy. In a new complaint, the Center for Constitutional Rights and the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests say the Vatican has “enjoyed absolute impunity” for failing to prevent and punish rape and sexual assault. The ICC filing is being described as the most comprehensive international effort to date to hold the Vatican accountable for sexual abuse.
- Why the Pope must face justice at The Hague | Barbara Blaine (guardian.co.uk)
- Abuse victims’ advocates ask international court to investigate Vatican (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Clergy Abuse Victims File International Complaint Against Vatican (blogs.wsj.com)
- Suing the Vatican for ‘Crimes Against Humanity’ (bilerico.com)
- Pope Bendict Accused of Crimes Against Humanity by Victims of Sex Abuse (faktensucher.wordpress.com)